Monday, September 19, 2011

First day of (getting) school(ed)

So, tomorrow's my first day on the job, and all I can think of is what we used to say on the Street whenever we were working on something big; namely, "don't fuck it up."  


I've definitely visited my fair share of wineries, and last year I even volunteered on weekends at my friend's winery in Santa Barbara County, but I gotta admit: I am freaking out.  First, I feel like the world's oldest intern.  I'm 35, to which many of my friends in their 40s or 50s will respond, "Oh, you're still a BABY!"  But let's not kid ourselves here.  When I interviewed at the winery, I met the other harvest interns, and one of them, T, was 24 and yet had worked 5 harvests around the world.  So I am not only old enough to have been his babysitter, but I'm also WAY less experienced.  Egads.  All I can hope is that the old saying of keeping my mouth shut and eyes open (and not falling into a vat of fermenting wine) will help me not to screw things up.  


As nervous as I am, when I was driving up to my new temporary home in St. Helena today and passed the "Welcome to Napa Valley" sign, I couldn't help but feel excited for this total career change.  I'm like a 35 year-old freshman on the first day of high school!  Let's hope I don't get pantsed in the hallways.



No comments:

Post a Comment